May 4, 2012

Dancing in the Moonlight

In anticipation of this weekend's supermoon, which will reach peak fullness/closeness at 11:35pm EDT on Saturday, I offer the terrific novel The Man Who Fell in Love with the Moon by Tom Spanbauer; Moon: A Brief History by Bernd Brunner; and, of course, Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown, as read by Christopher Walken


I've always thought the moon was a special, magical thing, capable of pulling tides and obscuring the sun. Greek mythology had a profound effect on my early imagination, and Artemis was my favorite. (How great that one of the bolometer cameras at APEX in Chile is the 'Architectures de bolometres pour des Telescopes a grand champ de vue dans le domaine sub-Millimetrique au Sol' (ARTEMIS)!) So I'll be dancing tomorrow night, and you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment